Okay, so it's been a while since an update. First of all, I had the most incredible going away parties ever!!!! Thanks so much to everyone for coming, for sending well wishes and for your contributions of food, gifts and money! I was able to buy a small computer that I'm now able to use here in Peru!!! yay!!
It seems to take a while to add photos, so we will see what I can do.
What has happened so far:
STAGING:
We had staging in Washington DC where I got to see my brother Eric, Courtney and their babies and my friend Aba! We were in a hotel conference room all day and got an overview of Peace Corps and Grandpa Kevin came! They interviewed him on video for the PC archives (as he is a former PC director) and then they videoed me, as a 3rd generation PCV. Very exciting! I was extremely honored!
We flew to Lima on 9/11 and everything went great! All the volunteers have been really cool and interesting!! Very diverse group of 57!!
LIMA:
We arrived late at night, PC had buses waiting at the airport. We drove 45 min outside Lima to a retreat to start with. 6 girls to a room. Hot running water; don't drink the water. We did a lot of "getting to know you activities".
HOST FAMILIES/HOUSING:
Saturday we went to the Training Center where we spend most of our time. In the afternoon our host families came to get us! and my host family is AWESOME! They are so fun and loving! I have my own room, they feed me really well, and we have electricity, running water and internet. There are about 18 other PCV's in my town and are in a tiny town 10 min on bus from the Training Center. It is very safe. Probably b/c we have to walk up this incredible steep hill to get from the bus stop to the house! Good exercise! We take the bus to the TC every day, and have language and skills training from 8-5. It's awesome b/c my mama packs my lunch, helped us catch the bus the first 2 days and says we are back in Kinder! They take care of me a lot. I brought some of the other PCV's to my house to meet my family and my mama prepared chicha, a purple corn drink for us. She is awesome. The best part is they love to dance SALSA!!!!!!!!!!
CLASSES and LANGUAGE/CULTURE:
I am in the advanced spanish class (wow!) so we do a lot of interactive activities and will do a small project in the community instead of language drills. We are still doing getting to know you activities in our skills training (health training) but it will advance. I may learn Quechua....I don't know yet. But my family is from the Sierra (mountains) and they speak Quechua. I met the grandmas and they wear the traditional skirts and hats! Pretty cool! We are busy all day, and it's hard to get to the internet cafe's or do anything after the day b/c we are pretty tired. I have also not asked my family until now, to spend time getting to know them.
CLIMATE:
It is spring here, and very cool in the mornings and evenings. But very dusty. My roads are paved to a point then just dirt. It is very hazy in the area, and sometime can't see the mountains. I don't know if it's because polliution or dust.
HEATH/FOOD:
So far, doing well. Have a bit of a sore throat b/c of the climate I think. But otherwise, it's very pretty here! The mountains are impressive. My tummy hurt yesterday but is better today. I think it might be b/c the food is different. Starchy...potatoes, rice, meat, yuca, some veggies and fruits. But rice a lot, which is delicious!!! but maybe hard on the tummy??? I can't wait to try more fruits. But the cafe con leche we had in the retreat was amazing!! A tiny bit of cafe and a ton of thick milk!
SO........
I will be in this site for 10 weeks. Then I will move to my permanent site, which is to be determined.
I hope you all are doing well! Please email me or leave comments. Send mail, too! Much love- from Lima (sort of) :)

Megan,
ReplyDeleteGreetings from Cleveland. I loved reading this whole blog from the beginning. I believe you made the right choice and waited it out. I remember Ally had the same waiting game. The next two tears will be a life experience that you will never forget. I'm very happy for you. As a PCK (Peace Corps Kid) Korea was my childhood, and I'd never give up those wonderful years. And we did eat lots of rice.
All my best to you and I will follow your updates.
Neil
Thanks Niel! Great to hear from you and to hear that it was a great experience for you! Stay in touch!
ReplyDeleteHey pal.. =)
ReplyDeleteGood to see you on here. What's in that plate for dinner? Looks like a nice piece of beef, some rice, a tasty banana treat, and ?. Please elaborate!
I wish I was in some village right now. The other world sucks.... too many responsibilities and brain work.
Have fun and enjoy the good moods!
Bhavesh