Hey everyone! Thanks so much for keeping in touch! I haven’t posted anything in a while, but all is well. We’ve been traveling and busy with training. I am feeling good, got over the cold, no stomach issues lately, doing well in training. I do have to report that, regrettably, there will be no photos after this posted for a while. Unfortunately, my camera was stolen and a few other volunteers were pick-pocketed in a big crowd. Over the past few weeks, I have been reminded that, while Peru is a great country, with lots of new developments, it is still exactly that…a developing country.
With that said, I’m seeing that living life in a state of change and growth can also mean living in a state of minor chaos. A situation in which a person who may see hope in the future of the country, thanks to things like the controversial yet inspiring male and female presidential candidates and a possible legalization of abortion (in a conservative and traditionally very Catholic society), is the same person who is unavoidably more concerned with the hope of having enough Nuevo Soles (the local currency) to buy bread and bus fare the next day.
Basically, what I’m saying is that, when there is not enough to go around, crime happens and it is something to be prepared for. Although, in my opinion, you can never be fully prepared for the feelings of intrusion and violation you feel when any kind of offense or transgression happens to you, no matter what country you are in. But I am not discouraged, because I know that the Peruvian people are overall kind, helpful, and strong. In our training we’ve learned the country’s history and how the people have overcome the terrorism of the 1980’s-90’s, the poverty that reigned after the rise and fall of Alberto Fujimori’s presidency, natural disasters, and the way they continue to fight to make things better. That’s why we’re here, the Peace Corps, and I definitely believe that I’m here for a reason and will do plenty of good works.
On a lighter note:
FUN THINGS:
Bees!!! My host family has bees in a hive/box in the garden and the other day I got to eat light, sweet, fresh honey straight from the honeycomb!! Delicious! The best honey ever! The other day, my padre opened the beehive, with me at a distance, and showed me how the bees make the honey. Amazing! I am inspired to have bees at my site. What’s even more inspiring is that I just started reading “The Secret Life of Bees” by Sue Monk Kidd. Very good by the way. Its’ a sign. And if anyone has some other good books to suggest…please do. Feel free to send one, too ;)
Baking and Food:
I baked a cheesecake last week! I’ve really been missing baking and decorating cakes, so one of my host sisters and I decided to make a cheesecake. We searched all over town to find the cream cheese, and finally, to my great delight, we found real, fresh, authentic Philadelphia Cream Cheese in the last stand of the market!!! It came out delicious! It’s funny how excited we get about little luxuries. It can be hard to find things you would think are “common”. We are back to popping corn in a pot, due to lack of microwaveable popcorn, and the un-abundance of microwaves here. And you wouldn’t believe how proud we are of ourselves! Cereal and milk are not eaten for breakfast like in the US. Wheat bread is rarely eaten. It’s available, but the culture just doesn’t eat it much. Most breakfasts consist of something like liquidy oatmeal, or evaporated milk from a can (heated up), or maybe an egg accompanied by white “French bread” rolls that you can eat with jam or avocado if you’re lucky. White rolls every day. White rolls. Every day. Pan de Francais. Every…single…day. It’s not too friendly on the tummy, especially with all the white rice and white potatoes we have, too. I usually buy some multigrain wheat bread at this bakery close to the training center, some raisins, peanuts (and make PB) too. Luckily we eat a lot of fruit and veggies, which is a lifesaver.
Traveling:
We went to the department of Ancash this weekend to do field work. We traveled 8 hours north, luckily it was on a huge comfy bus. This is the typical Sierra/Mountains and it was really beautiful!! It actually reminded me of parts of Colorado and I felt at home. The towns were small, the people were so nice and we had good weather. The volunteer we visited lives at the base of a snow capped mountain! I’ve never seen anything like it! Called Mount Huascaran (was-ka-RAhN), famous for hiking and trekking, it is over 22,000 feet. This week we will learn where our permanent sites will be! I’m so excited. I want to be somewhere warm, like the beach, but the coast here is like a desert. I have a hunch that I might be close to Cajamarca, which is also the Sierra Mountains. I think I would like it there.
REALLY FUNNY THINGS:
I literally went on a wild goose chase the other afternoon. It was actually a rooster chase, but same thing, right? One of the roosters got out of the coop and was in the garden, at the edge of the cliff, looking absolutely frightened out of his little mind. My sister and I tried to grab it, but since I have never even touched a chicken, I was afraid it would peck me or I would hurt it if I grabbed it too hard. Needless to say we ended up running around like 2 chickens with our heads cut off trying to catch the darn thing! At one point it was so scared, it flew off the little cliff (like 30 feet) to the street below, and I thought it was a gonner, because chickens don’t really fly. It was ridiculous! We ran down the stairs, chased it around and around until my sister finally grabbed its tail, then its wings, and told me to grab the neck …gently! (oops). Poor guy. He’s fine now. I think.
THINGS I MISS:
I miss all of you back home!! I’ve gotten some amazing care packages so far. My first was from Jamie all the way in Fiji! Cards, candy, essentials like facewash, my yoga journal, and letters. Thanks Carol, Linda, Mom, Amalia, Coco! It’s such a good feeling to get stuff!
I definitely miss salsa dancing at Pablo’s (or the latest spot), with all my friends. Even though salsa is played here on every bus, in every house, everywhere all day, there is definitely no spontaneous dancing in the street. And the dancing in the disco tecs is not as lively either, as far as I’ve seen. I’m going to have to go to Argentina or something while I’m here. To get some tango in and see it just happen in the streets.
I also miss:
cereal and milk
PBJ sandwiches on wheat (Fortunately, I learned to make my own PB)
Just driving to Walmart or Target for whatever
Variety of clothing (and I thought I had “nothing to wear” back home!)
Cooking for myself
THINGS I HAVE GOTTEN USED TO…almost:
Cold showers (I know, right?!)
Dirt and dust everywhere. Always. Even after you sweep and mop – which I do every week.
Washing everything by hand (even the sheets) –but then I give myself a little manicure after. It’s perfect.
Carrying my own TP around. The bathrooms never have TP.
Roosters crowing at 5 am
Slower pace of life… This has it’s ups and downs
Having a short to-do list. LOVE IT!!
OTHER THINGS I LOVE HERE:
the white cheese (queso fresco)
Fruit
Delicious desserts
The mountains
Finding humor in the most random things (like moto-taxis that look like clown cars, being called gringa (affectionately, of course) by little kids, loud speaker announcements at 6 am on Saturday morning)
3 weeks left of training….I can’t believe it. I’m looking forwarding to settling in at my site, but will really miss my host family. They are amazing people and I really love them. Please pray for the best with the new transition coming up.
Hope all is well with you back home! Abrazos (hugs) to all!

No comments:
Post a Comment