Sunday, February 7, 2010


GIARDIA...is not fun

So I got pretty sick about a week or two ago and called the PC doctor. She thought I probably had giardia, which is a parasite that comes from the water. But according to one witty friend of mine, the definition of giardia is this: When the world falls out of your bottom and the bottom falls out of your world. I would say that's pretty accurate! and I'd like to add, that it feels like someone lit your insides on fire turning everything to liquid then decides to wring it all out like a wet, old rag! How pleasant! Not sure how I got it, I boil all my drinking water...it could have been from a mango I had washed off and not thoroughly dried. Who knows.

THANK GOD FOR THE COMBI (aka the bus)!!!

To combat this dreaded parasite, my doctor (in Lima) called the coordinator (in Piura) who bought the medicine I needed, dropped it off with the driver at the bus station, who brought it up the 7 hr bus trip to the house with the community phone (Sicchez) so I could pick it up in the afternoon. Wow! What a process...but that's how things work here. Thank God for the bus, or I would have been suffering a lot longer.


This is the combi...the bus that we take up from the city to our town, for 7hrs, with chickens, turkeys and one time, even a hawk.










I helped make the cake for my little host sister's 10th birthday! About 40 kids came, boys and girls, all who were forced to dance with each other. You could tell they were thinking...Eww...cooties!


When political campaigns start people paint their houses with the names of the candidates and their parties to show their support.
Octavio is the current mayor and seems to be doing a pretty good job.







The INFINITE USES OF DUCK TAPE (or duct tape?)

A few weeks ago I saw a giant spider outside my room and tried to smash it with a shoe. I missed. and he got away. So I was hoping never to see him again, but about 3 nights ago, he came back for revenge.

I walked into my room, closed the door, and there he was! just sitting on the other side of the door...waiting for me! So this time, I grabbed a shoe and knew I couldn't miss. I smashed him in one foul swoop! But then had to figure out what to do because he had come in through the gap between the wall and the door. What to use???? bags??? my mosquito net???
DUCK TAPE!!! Thank God one of my friends had sent it. It was perfect. So as you see, I have the edges taped and bags stuffed in the top. Hopefully, it keeps the bugs out.


This is me, working in the garden at the health center. We are trying to clear out all the overgrowth and weeds. Pretty big job.







And me doing my Indiana Jones thing, as one of my beloved family members put it.

My shirt says "Peace Corps, 14, Always available" The back of the shirt has a llama that says "llama me" which means "call me". It's a funny play on words designed by another volunteer. However, I try not to wear it in public much. Don't want to advertise that. lol!!

The 14 means that we are the 14th Peace Corps group to come to Peru since 2001 since we were re-invited back after a 20 year absence due to the terrorism and political strife of the 80''s and 90's


Got some wonderful letters and care packages again....thank you so much everyone!!!! Sending you all lots of love and hugs from Peru!

1 comment: