Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July

It's July. .. This whole time Peace Corps has said I should be leaving in mid-September. That is 10 weeks away!! It seems long but short. And, if they wait to give me the minimum notice, that won't be until August! Then 6 weeks to pack my life up for 2 years. Exciting! and a little nerve wracking.

I'm hoping that the situation in Honduras won't affect my placement. If you're interested in hearing the first-hand perspective on the situation from a volunteer in Honduras there is a good blog at bryanlemos.blogspot.com.

I'm also working on planning a going away party, and trying to get everything I need. Someone suggested getting a smaller, lighter laptop to take b/c mine is older, slower, and heavy (>8lbs!) That might not be a bad idea, since I can only take 80lbs with me and Peace Corps insures all your stuff. It would definitely be easier to carry, hide and use to keep in touch with everyone. That's the most important part! The challenge will be to find high quality, low cost. After all, it's the Peace Corps and I'm not going to be making much $$ the next couple years. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I say get a netbook if you're mainly just searching the internet and typing documents. They usually run between $300-400 at best buy and amazon. They are usually like 1 or 2 lbs I think. Congrats on your decision to enter Los Cuerpos de Paz and I hope to see you before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris...but do those net books still work well if you use an external CD/DVD drive to watch movies? i was told to have a regular laptop for that

    ReplyDelete